Open to: All law students
Location: Seattle, WA
Time Commitment: Wednesdays, 6:15 pm – 9:15 pm
Application Process: Visit New Beginnings’ website for information on how to apply.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Contact: The phone for the administrative office is (206) 783-4520. Or email New Beginnings here.
New Beginnings provides services to those whose lives have been affected by domestic violence – physical, emotional, or sexual abuse. Some who use our services are in physical danger. Others are living with controlling partners in relationships that are emotionally abusive. In this position, you will directly impact the lives of those experiencing domestic violence. Provide 1×1 advocacy for clients who come to the clinic. Work with attorneys to efficiently provide information and documents throughout the evening. The responsibilities for this position are:
- Prepare clinic for attorneys and clients
- Provide support, information and safety planning to clients
- Prioritize clients’ needs and prepare them to meet with the attorney
- Provide efficient response to client and attorney needs through evening
- Conduct intake and exit interviews with client
Becoming a volunteer at New Beginnings is a rewarding and engaging experience that requires a serious commitment! Requirements include:
- One-year commitment to agency (min. six-month commitment to position), 4 hours each week
- Attend 4-Week Domestic Violence Volunteer & Advocacy Training
- Respect of others’ individual choices and values
- Completion of 24-hour volunteer training
- Experience working with victims of domestic violence survivors in legal environment
- Understanding of dynamics of domestic violence.
- Ability to communicate well with persons from various cultures and backgrounds.
- Ability to listen effectively, communicates clearly, and express oneself with patience and flexibility.
- Acceptance of another’s right to individual choices and values.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Interest in broadening knowledge base by learning new ideas through training, supervision and evaluation.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Interest or experience with legal issues is a plus, but not required.
At New Beginnings, you’ll find a close-knit group of passionate, dedicated professionals working with program participants and other community members to end domestic violence. You’ll be a part of this mission, working towards the elimination of violence. You’ll also develop or refine your advocacy skills and deepen your understanding of domestic violence.
If interested, please visit our website at: http://www.newbegin.org/get-involved/volunteer or contact the Community Engagement Coordinator at 206.926.3016 for next steps!