Open to: 2Ls and 3Ls
Time commitment: 12 hours/week during the school year for a full semester or longer
Application Process: Send a cover letter and resume to the contact below.
Application Deadline: Open until filled – apply ASAP
Contact: Mark Chattin, Directing Attorney, email@example.com
The Legal Action Center (LAC) offers free legal assistance to qualifying low income persons in King County who are facing evictions and subsidy terminations, landlord/tenant issues, and debtor/creditor issues related to past tenancies. LAC has an opportunity for interns to begin as soon as possible. The position can be paid via work study if students are eligible.
- Handling intake sessions for new clients
- Attend neighborhood clinics and provide assistance to volunteer attorney interviewing clients in person at LAC office and at neighborhood intake sites. Gather relevant legal, income and demographic information.
- Complete intake forms, case opening memos, client retainer agreements and releases, enter data into LegalServer database.
- Review cases with supervising attorney to develop action plan
- Providing negotiation, legal information, referrals and self-help support to individuals under direction of supervising attorney and in compliance with Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of landlord-tenant, and debtor-creditor law.
- Inform clients of eviction procedures and timelines before an actual eviction might happen
- Provide relevant written materials, pro se forms, follow-up legal information and basic advice as requested by supervising attorney
- Consider how much the client is able to do for themselves. Consult with supervising attorney whether law is violated by landlord and what governmental agencies should become involved.
- Call/write to opposing parties who are not following proper procedures or with whom LAC wants to negotiate to resolve clients’ legal problems and prevent litigation.
- Call government agencies to report problems, get advice, make suggestions or gather additional information at clients’ request.
- Provide other relevant social & legal service referrals
- Maintain tickle system for follow-up required on cases.