Position: Equal Justice Works Fellow
Open to: Third-year law students and recent law school graduates
Time commitment: Two-year commitment from September 2019 through August 2021.
Application Process: Apply online here
Application Deadline: September 21, 2018
Contact: For more information, please visit the Equal Justice Works website or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Each year the Equal Justice Works Fellowship competition selects dozens of qualified and passionate lawyers who have developed new and innovative legal projects that can impact lives and serve communities in desperate need of legal assistance.
Fellows receive a competitive salary, generous loan repayment assistance, connections to their prominent sponsors, participation in trainings, and additional support during their two-year tenure.
Becoming an Equal Justice Works Fellow is highly competitive. The application and selection process for an Equal Justice Works Fellowship involves the following:
- You must be a third year law student, a recent law school graduate, or an experienced attorney who demonstrates a commitment to public interest law. Your law school must be an Equal Justice Works member law school.
- You must identify a qualifying nonprofit host organization that will provide you with a full-time position upon receiving a Fellowship.
- The host organization must be willing to be your employer during the term of the two-year Fellowship, meet salary requirements, and provide you with supervision, a work space, employee health and fringe benefits, and the materials (computer, internet access, phone, etc.) that you will need to successfully complete your project.
- Together with your host organization, you must design a new project, which focuses on legal advocacy on behalf of disenfranchised individuals, groups or issues not adequately represented in our legal system.
Equal Justice Works reviews the applications and selects projects that can be matched with potential sponsors. Sponsors determine whom they would like to interview and ultimately choose the Fellow. Decisions are made on a rolling basis.
- June 20, 2018: Application opens
- September 21, 2018: The application and supporting paperwork are due to Equal Justice Works
- December 2018: Interviews begin for selected candidates
- December 2018-April 2019: Interviews continue; Fellowships are offered on a rolling basis
- September 2019: 2019 Fellows begin service